Take Taco your Tuesday to the next level! Perfectly seasoned shrimp & biltong with a spicy garlic cilantro-lime slaw and fresh avocado all packed in a fresh tortilla. These shrimp tacos can be ready in 30 minutes or less!
- 1 pound (~45) medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 packet of Ayoba-Yo Traditional or Spicy Biltong
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, separated
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (or use additional olive oil)
- 1-2 fresh limes
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 large avocado
- Corn (or flour) tortillas
For the Cilantro Lime Sauce:
- 1 lime juiced and zested (3 tablespoons juice + 1/2 teaspoon zest)
- 1-2 cloves garlic add to desired preference, minced
- 1/2 of a large bunch of cilantro
- 1/2 jalapeno (or 1 full jalapeno for a spicier dressing)
- 1/2 cup regular full fat mayo
- 1/2 cup sour cream, I use fat-free
- Optional: olive oil cooking spray
- Pat both sides of the shrimp dry and then gently toss in a large bowl with the garlic, salt, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, and 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Cover and place in the fridge while preparing the rest of this dish (at least 15 minutes and up to overnight).
- In a large skillet (if you don't have a big enough skillet to cook all the shrimp in a single layer, separate this process AND the butter + olive oil into 2 parts), melt butter and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Add shrimp in a single layer and saute until they just turn pink, flipping shrimp over halfway through, 2 to 4 minutes depending upon their size. Add Traditional or Spicy Biltong once shrimp is 80% cooked and stir. Remove from heat and set aside to a cutting board. Cut off the tails. If desired, add a squeeze of fresh lime juice to the shrimp.
- For the Cilantro Lime Sauce
- Zest and juice 1 lime to get 3 tablespoons juice and 1/2 teaspoon zest. Add the juice and zest to a powerful blender or mini food processor along with the minced garlic, cilantro, 1/2 of the seeded jalapeno (add more of the jalapeno for a spicier sauce, add slowly if you're worried about the heat), and mayo. Add salt and pepper to taste and blend or pulse until smooth. Add in the sour cream and pulse once more to combine.
- Remove 1/2 a cup of the cilantro lime sauce and toss it with the shredded green cabbage to combine.
- OPTIONAL: Spray the tortillas (both sides) with olive oil cooking spray and "grill" tortillas on stovetop over the open flame until slightly charred. Alternatively warm (covered with a damp paper towel) in the microwave.
- Fill tortillas with shrimp, a generous serving of the slaw, and fresh avocado. Drizzle additional sauce over top and serve with a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.